Whether you are a morning bird or a night owl, we all have to wake up and start our day at some point. You might as well start your day right and enjoy your morning with this list of tips that will not only make you feel more energized, but productive as well.
“My morning routine consists of waking up in a bad mood. Constantly being annoyed by the alarm clock, I force myself out of bed and crawl to the bathroom. After that, I get dressed and head out, usually forgetting breakfast,” says sophomore Amanda Turner.
You can chose to linger in bed, hitting the snooze button and dreading the alarm, or you can set yourself up for massive daily productivity and success with this simple, but effective routine. Within a few weeks of following this format, you will find yourself hopping out of bed in the morning renewed and looking forward to what lies ahead.
1. Time to wake up “peacefully”- It is important to wake up early and give yourself the time you need in the morning to get ready for the day.
-Do not reach for that snooze button– going back to sleep can disturb your sleep cycle, causing you to feel more tired.
-Resist the urge to check your phone- Focus on your own life and not others. Not checking social media reserves your morning time just for you instead of being enslaved to technology. This also takes away the possibility of starting off our day to a bad start by avoiding responding and reacting to other people’s agendas rather than setting our own course for the day.
2. Wash up and go to the bathroom- after doing your “business,” brush your teeth before eating breakfast. Brushing your teeth before breakfast removes the layer of plaque built up from the night before that can cause tooth decay.
3. Get dressed and prepare your things- By picking out clothes the night before, you can get dressed faster without wasting time staring at your closet and saying you have nothing to wear.
4. Set up your personal goals for today and appreciate what you have- While getting dressed, think about what you will accomplish today and how will you do it. Appreciating what you have sets up a positive attitude and mind for the day.
5. Drink a glass of water with lemon- Drinking a big glass of warm water with a squeeze of lemon can improve your digestion by flushing our toxins, boost your immune system with its excellent amount of vitamin C, give you energy, and improve your mood for the day. There are many other wonders to this simple drink, so it is crucial to add this into your everyday morning routine.
6. Eat a protein-rich breakfast- The right breakfast can help wake you up and keep you feeling healthy and energetic throughout the day. Some recommended pick-me-ups to eat in the morning include:
(unflavored) Oatmeal or whole grain bread (this is a great source of iron, magnesium, and B vitamins)
Fruit, Greek yogurt, and granola (Greek yogurt is loaded with calcium and has nearly twice as much protein and probiotics as regular yogurt)
Greens like spinach or kale (blend with some fruit for a delicious, fiber-rich smoothie)
Eggs (they are an excellent source of protein)
“Skipping breakfast is a horrible habit of mine. There is often no time in the morning and in school, my stomach hurts and distracts me from focusing in class,” says freshman Emily Conenna.
7. Get out and burn some calories- Exercise is a great way to get your body moving while improving your energy levels to make you feel invigorated. If you do not have time for a full workout, like many people during the weekdays, there are still a few small things you can do to wake up your body and get pumped for the day.
Take a 15-minute walk to get your blood pumping and move oxygen throughout the body
Do side crunches. Sit on a chair with hands behind head. Press elbows straight back to stretch your chest and open your lungs, then bend sideways at the waist to crunch to your left. Come back up and repeat to the right. Continue this exercise to boost your energy and move oxygen through the body.
Complete jumping jacks to elevate your heart rate and burn fat at a rapid rate, promoting weight loss.
Will you change your morning routine and, if so, how will you change it to become more productive?
#energized #NicoleTang #Healthylifestyle #morningroutine #productivity