by CAROLINE GAVURA Section Editor
When most people hear the phrase “female rapper”, one name comes to mind – Nicki Minaj.
What the media seems to forget, however, is that what is special about Minaj is not the fact that she is a female rapper (Why there needs to be a distinction between “rappers” and “female rappers” is beyond me..), but the impact she has made on the music industry.
When Kanye West released “Monster” in 2010, Minaj’s verse sent shock waves throughout the world. Critics were regarding it as the best part of the track, topping old pros like Rick Ross and Jay-Z.
For the first time since the likes of Salt-n-Peppa and Aaliyah, subjects such as female dominance and sexuality were being represented in rap music.
“The Pinkprint” is no different.
With her new record, Minaj has scaled back from her usual over-the-top demeanor (Goodbye, Roman! We won’t miss you!) and let her fans get to know the real Nicki.
Obviously this review will be track-by-track; nothing less for the Queen of Rap.
1. All Things Go: Probably the most personal song on the album, “All Things Go” discusses the hard times in Minaj’s life. She reminisces on losing her cousin to gang violence, getting an abortion, and distancing herself from her family – and this is the FIRST song on the album. It’s like the intention of this record is to make you bawl your eyes out. Best Line: Cherish these nights, cherish these people; Life is a movie, but there will never be a sequel.
2. I Lied: If you weren’t already tearing up from “All Things Go”, this song will having you sobbing. One of the best parts of Minaj’s writing style is that her lyrics are personable enough to still be relatable (even though there is no shot in hell you will ever actually relate to her ever). Best Line: Even though I said I don’t love you, I lied.
3. The Crying Game: Sorry, but if “The Crying Game” isn’t in your Top 3 off of “Pinkprint”, we literally cannot associate with each other. I have never been engaged, not to mention called off a wedding, but if I do, you bet your butt you will catch me singing this song. Best Line: Another slap to the face, another uppercut; I’m abusive by nature, not cause I hate ya.
4.Get On Your Knees: YAAASSSSS! A confident display of female sexuality by Ariana Grande (???Ok) nonetheless. The only way to dance to this song is inappropriately. Best Line: Pay my dues and tuition, it’s good for your nutrition. (#ME)
5. Feeling Myself: Anytime Queen B gets in the studio with Nic, it’s probably going to be fire. Is narcissism even a thing anymore if Beyoncé says it’s O.K.? Best Line: Lemme get a number two with some Mac sauce; On The Run tour with my mask off.
6.Only: Not everyone can get a feature from Drake, Lil Wayne AND Chris Brown. This is the best rap to be released in a while, almost good enough to overlook the blatant Nazi propaganda in the lyric video… almost! Best Line: I like my girls BBW; type to wanna suck you dry and then eat some lunch with you.
7.Want Some More: You know that genius logic where you listen to music that gets you really hyped when you’re already extremely pissed? Great news, this song was made for that! (+ Another Jeremih feature <3) Best Line:Who had Eminem on the first album? Who had Kanye saying, “She a problem”?
8. Four Door Aventador: A woman???? Rapping about cars?????? Mind-blowing! The world isn’t ready! Best Line: I’m in Hollywood, with Shia Labeouf; Most of you rappers ain’t eating, that diet is rough.
9.Favorite: My ‘favorite’ on the album (HAHA HILARIOUS – Please stop me, I’m begging)! This song doesn’t have amazing lyrics or a killer beat – it really is nothing special. It’s just sickly-sweet enough to make you think of your favorite… Or who you wish favored you. ANNNNND you can still dance to it in the club. It’s a win-win! Best Line: I just wanna be your favorite…
10. Buy a Heart: Now that Meek Mill and Nicki are basically dating, this song is even HOTTER. Like, yeah I know you want me, but I also know you’re a huge player so you’re not gettin’ it. Best Line: I could tell you was analyzing me, I could tell you was criticizing me; I could tell you was fantasizing that you would come slide in me and confide in me.
11. Trini Dem Girls: Any song with a feature from someone named “Lunchmoney Lewis” is going to be AMAZING. THIS IS DANCING MUSIC – it’s one of Nicki’s personal favorites for a reason (you can TWERK to it). Best Line: He in love with a ghetto girl; He said he want a piece like Metta World.
12.Anaconda: Do I really need to say anything? Best Line: The whole damn song.
13.The Night is Still Young: No one talks about this song, but it’s one of the best TBH. Perfect with a night out with friends when you wanna dance in outfits that should be illegal. Best Line: We fresh to death, down to the shoes; My only motto in life is don’t lose.
14.Pills N Potions: This begins a transition in the album – bring back the tissues 🙁 Best Line: People will love you and support you when it’s beneficial; Imma forgive, I won’t forget, but Imma dead the issue.
15. Bed of Lies: If you have ever been cheated on ever, don’t listen to this because you will not be able to handle it emotionally. Best Line: When the tears roll down its like you ain’t even notice them; If you had a heart I was hoping that you would show it some.
16. Grand Piano: That’s it. I’m dead. Emotional roller coaster is an understatement. Who gave her the right?! Honestly. Best Line: The people are talking; The people are saying that you have been playing my heart like a grand piano.
17. Big Daddy: Talk about WHIPLASH…?? I’m really hoping this song is a joke, but let’s be real – it never is. Take a shot every time Meek Mill says “Call me Big Daddy”! Best Line: Your time is ticking; You b*tches will be around shorter than Vine vids.
18.Shanghai: Anything boys can do, Nicki can do better (but we already knew that…). Warning: driving to this might induce cockiness and road rage. Best Line: Ask Jay who he married, eighty thousand in Paris; Stadiums with Queen B and that selfie got ’em aggy.
19.Win Again: Hardest song on this album, in my opinion. She should use it to open her shows, but ya’ll know she’s gonna pick “Only” (deep sigh). Best Line: Uh, but no, they not Nicki; Wrist on ice and yes my wrist bricky; If I leave the game will miss Nicki.
20. Truffle Butter: Much more enjoyable when you don’t urban dictionary what “truffle butter” actually is. Wayne stays slaying every verse, I can’t take it anymore. Best Line: Girl this my new dance move, I just don’t know what to call it; But b*tch you dancing with the stars; I ain’t nothin like your last dude, what’s his name? Not important.
Bottom line- why don’t you own this piece of art yet?